Tuesday, August 5, 2008

tim mcgraw

I've been a fan of Tim McGraw since I was about 15 years old. He's the first country singer to catch my attention, and his greatest hits c.d. is one of my favorites of all time.

In Jr. High and early High School I hated country music. My dad has always been a fan but his love for country music was definitely not genetic. Whenever he would turn it on my brother and I would make him turn it off just as quickly. However, I can still remember the Saturday night in early spring of my freshman year of high school when my brother came home from Target with Tim McGraw's greatest hits. My parents and I teased him a bit for purchasing the country music, but when he wanted to play it on our way to church the next day my dad did not hesitate to put it on, and the end result was shocking. For the first time in my life I enjoyed listening to country music.

I will admit though it wasn't for another 3 or 4 years down the road when my love for this genre of music would expand to what it is today. My freshman year of college Lindsay and I became pretty tight. At that point in time she didn't have a car or driver’s license so often I'd be the one driving us around. It didn't matter what we were doing, where we'd be going, or how many times we'd overplayed it Tim McGraw would be the c.d. of choice. Between songs like "Something like that" (which we have a dance to...), "Just to see you smile", "Don't take the girl" etc. we couldn't help but rock out and be entertained for hours.

Other songs played huge roles in my life over the years, such as "My Best Friend", which still brings tears to my eyes when I think of all the memories behind it. They're of course happy tears in case anyone was keeping track... :)

So, this is my love letter to Tim McGraw, I guess I'm kind of following Taylor Swift's example since she wrote a song about it. I will always love Tim McGraw for introducing me to country music and helping me to form the love I have for it today..that is all. :)

No comments: