Saturday, January 17, 2009

Substitute Teaching

So, can I just start by saying substitute teaching is...interesting? Yes, I think that might be a good adjective for now. In the past month I have been in 8 different schools, and I've taught over one-thousand students ranging in age from 12-19. Most days I try to teach some sort of English class, but that is not always the case. I have also subbed in business, psychology, physical education, architecture, special education, social studies, civics, etc. classes. There are just so many it's hard to think back and remember them all. Things I have learned: I love working with students. I hate having to be strict, but a great deal of the time students want to challenge the substitute, which is often the case when the students see how young I am. (Not that they know my actual age! I've had students guess any where from 18 to 35. Like I look 35! That's a laugh.) I've also noticed that office secretaries are the glue of a school. I think I already knew that to some extent, but any doubts I might have had are gone, and I am certain they are calling all the shots. Boys are more immature that girls as a general rule in 7th-12th grade. I'm not trying to be sexist by any means because there are always exceptions, but I'm sorry guys, at that age I don't think you can really help it anyways. It's funny how much high school hasn't changed since I was there. I know I've only been out for 4 1/2 years, but I don't think HS will ever really change that much. Some can argue how we live in a different world now than 5 or 10 years ago. I would have to agree, but I'm sorry, schools are still the same. yes, teachers might have to struggle more to keep the attention of a class, but, really, at the core...kids are the same. They think teachers give too much work and most of them hate their job and enjoy torturing the students. They think the world revolves around them and many have no idea how small they are. That's a lesson learned in college....I know this is more a jumble of random thoughts rather than an organized blog entry, but I'm sure I'll be talking about my journey this semester more in the near future....that is all, for now at least.

No comments: