Friday, March 20, 2009

childhood books

Alright..so...I like to read. I don't really think that's a secret or anything. I mean I did get my degree in English Education, so it seems fairly obvious that I don't hate it. Back when I was in high school I would read all the time. Usually just during my free time at school, and sometimes the books were way over my head, and I had no idea what I was even reading. Did you ever do that? You know...read a book when you were younger that you didn't understand, but you wanted to put it down on your "books I've read" list. I laugh about it now because I've run into a few of those when I work in high schools and I see myself 8 years ago. Well, lately I've taken the opposite route. I've been rereading those books from middle school basically...maybe even a few from 4th and 5th grade too. I usually can knock one out during one subbing gig. Some of these youthful reads are: "The Giver," "The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler," "Maniac Magee," "Lord of the Flies," and I'm reading all the Harry Potter books for the second time too. It's so much fun to take a trip down memory lane through reading. It reminds me why I fell in love with books in the first place. I owe a lot of that to my mom. We used to read together at night. I can still remember climbing onto the couch with her and reading the American Girl series on Molly. I then read the others by myself: Samantha, Felicity, Addy, and Kirsten. I used to climb into my bed and read until I fell asleep. Sometimes I would hold my eyes open..literally, so I could finish the next chapter. I miss those simple days when I had nothing but time to read, especially during the summers when night came, and I had to stop playing outside.
So, I encourage you to pick up a book you read as a child and revisit it...that is all. :)

1 comment:

Editor Cassandra said...

I've been reading all those YA books that were popular when I was a teen and all the new ones that come out at my local library. Stuff like the Judy Blume books, the Princess Diaries series, and of course the classics like To Kill A Mockingbird and all those good ones. I think of it as "research" for my own book :)