Saturday, April 4, 2009

spring cleaning

I have never been very good at throwing things away. It's a trait I picked up from my mother, but I keep everything! In the past I've had some minor spring cleaning episodes in which I will spend an entire afternoon combing through my belongings and throwing away my clutter..filling far too many garbage bags. However, it's weird because as soon as a drawer is cleaned out and only half full I find other things to take the place of the junk I just threw away. Moving out is in my near future and so today I decided to take a real stab at spring cleaning. I decided to take it week to week--one area of my room being tackled every Saturday afternoon until I've conquered everything.

Today, I started with my desk. It was funny to pull out each drawer and look at everything. I had pictures from high school and even middle school...seriously, I was so awkward back then. When the next secretary or student tells me I look young enough to still be in high school I should pull out a picture from my freshman year and say, "I hope I don't still look like this..." sophomore and junior years weren't too awful. Senior year was fine, but wow, I think I look so young. Not that this is a bad thing. Then I found old notes, tests, and papers from those days. I think the oldest were from 7th or 8th grade then I found a folder with everything I did sophomore year in English. Next, there was a folder from senior year: chemistry notes and wedding plans...you see we did a marriage project in Bible that year. I couldn't help but chuckle when I read some of the papers I wrote back then. There were also mementos dating back to my planner from sophomore year, funky pens, notes, and random nick-nacks bringing back inside jokes and so many memories.

Here is were things took a bit of a turn. I found some things from my college days. A few notes, pictures, a putt-putt golf scorecard, a book of abc's, etc.--basically things from the past that I could never bring myself to get rid of. It was so tempting to look over things and think back to happy memories from the first 2 1/2 years of college, but that relationship is over and to look back on it now is still kind of painful, so I shoved it all away without dwelling on it for too long.

However, after that I couldn't help but think about the spring cleaning I'd done in my life in regards to that situation. By getting rid of all the emotions that used to weigh me down I was finally free. The stress and heartache that tore me apart inside for so long. Outside I was strong and tried to put everything that had happened for the past2, or even 4 years behind me, thinking: if I pretend long enough soon this facade will just become a reality. I fooled a lot of people around me. I even fooled myself sometimes, but in the end I couldn't stop caring for a long time. When you really love and care about a person you don't listen to those around you, you do what you want. You let that person stay in your life, sometimes even running it, when you should just cut him/her out. Now, normally this would be a good thing--loving and caring about someone. However, in this situation as long as I cared I allowed myself to get walked on and used. Part of this was due to the fact that I wanted to be apart of his life and hoped that I might help to make him a better person, not to say he was a bad person, but we all need to be pushed and challenged in order to grow. I used to think he and I might do this for each other. It wasn't until I did some "spring cleaning" of sorts on myself that life really got better. It was difficult to do too. I did not want to let go. I held on for so long because I wanted things to turn out the way I had hoped they would. But I finally cut out communication, that was easier than I thought it would be too. After walking on eggshells for about a year and always apologizing for trying to be a friend, it was nice not having to deal with those stressful situations every day--I no longer spent time wondering what a coversation or an afternoon spent together meant.

Part of me is sad about the way things have to be, but I'm happy and it occurred to me that happiness wasn't in the future as long as I stayed on that path. I still pray for that person, but now I worry about my own happiness first and it's been working out a lot better...that is all.

No comments: