Thursday, October 23, 2008

just another thursday

Okay, I just have to say I LOVE teaching. It is, without a doubt, what I feel called to do for the rest of my life. Every month, every week, every day, every class--I learn more and more. Student teaching started off a little slow, but over the past two months it's only gotten better and better. :) My students are good kids. Sometimes they talk more than they should and drive me crazy, but overall, they are great. I used to be crazy overwhelmed by writing lesson plans, making handouts and worksheets, and grading papers, and I do it all for free. However, I want to come back every day. I want to get out of bed (Maybe not as early as I have to, but I'm more of a morning person than I ever have been). and teach all day, every day.
So...a little more about my classes.

1st hour: I have 12-1, which is a senior level composition class. It is designed as a college prep course and far harder than any classes I took in HS as far as I recall, it has been a long time... haha The class is surprisingly talkative for 7:35a.m. but funny. A few of them are amazing writers and far ahead of a lot of college freshman I have encountered. I hope some of them get a kick in the butt when they get to college though because they can be a bit whinny about Shakespeare and the workload at times. :)

2nd hour: My prep. Basically I plan things out with Sarah or put on my headphones and knock out your typical teacher tasks. I dare you to say that 5 times fast. :)

3rd hour: Oh my juniors...This course is 11A. It is the harder of the 2 junior courses offered in our district. The first 6 weeks were dedicated to learning MLA, gathering sources, outlining, and writing a large research paper. Now, we review grammar briefly MWF and have been dedicating the rest of class time to reading 1984. Speaking of grammar, I still need to write their accumulative grammar quiz for tomorrow. On Friday I hand them a mini paper filled with mistakes, which review all the grammar and MLA we have learned up to this point, and focusing on the latest skill dominantly. This week it's colons and semicolons. Always exciting. :)

4th hour: Yearbook, and by far the most unconventional part of my day. You see, most of the girls who apply for this course, know Sarah and have developed a sort of teacher/student friendship with her over their time at Stoney. Some of them have even paid to take required classes in summer school, so they can take YB over and over--it being an elective and all. It's nice to get to know those girls because they are so sweet. However, don't get me wrong, they work VERY hard. Stoney Creek puts out one of the nicest yearbooks I have ever seen. I can't wait to get my copy of this year's in the spring.

5th hour: Mythology, which is a mix of juniors and seniors. This is a literature course that all these students have elected to take. It can be a lot of fun too. Since it's a literature class there are no papers, but there is a lot of reading involved. The class is broken down into different units by archetypes. We just finished the god-teacher unit, which included a few short stories and the novel Frankenstein. That class is rowdy in one word. haha It is composed mainly of boys, it's just after lunch, and it has 35 students--in other words, every desk is filled. Sometimes they can get a little crazy, but honestly I find myself trying not to laugh before I turn on my serious face and telling them to quiet down. :)

6th hour: Another section of 12-1. This class is very focused. They are doing an amazing job of getting through Hamlet and their college application essays were great. There are some very cool stories in that class too. From the guy who is the essence of school spirit to the injured football player/wrestler who can never play these sports again but was still voted captain and goes to every practice and game helping from the sidelines. You can't make this stuff up...he's truly inspirational to me and doesn't even know it.

Well, that's a brief look into my life...that is all. :)

No comments: