Saturday, April 12, 2008

inspiration: eleanor roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt has always been a woman that I have looked up to. Besides the fact that she married her cousin I have wanted to be just like her since I was about ten. She once said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."--A quote that has stuck with me since middle school.

In the beginning I'm not even sure I knew what this quote meant in relation to my life. However, now as a senior in college I have a deeper understanding of it and can relate to it on a more personal level.

I'm guilty of caring too much about what other people think of me. It's a flaw I've been aware of for a few years now. There has to be a balance between listening to our friends' constructive criticism and worrying too much about conforming to appease those around you.
Over my past four years at Rochester College I have seen many people put on faces, which they feel they need to wear to fit in on this campus. Also, I've seen many individuals who do what they want even if it might not be what's "cool". (Who really knows what that is anyways?)

I admire both groups... I know, I know I shouldn't be neutral like this but, this is my blog, and I do what I want.

Group 1 (the conformers) I admire you because I've been in that position. It can be something as simple as sitting through a bad movie just because it's the one your friends picked. I went to see Superbad, even though I knew it was trash, (funny yes, but trash) and afterwards I felt horrible for wasting 2 hours of my life filling my head with such junk. I've laughed at jokes that were tasteless and crude, worn clothing I did not think was very attractive myself, and so many other little things. Now that I'm 21 I hope to share my limited amount of wisdom with whoever might read this. Find people who like who you are. To quote Dr. Seuss, "Be who you are because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind." It's okay to be weird or different. Don't worry so much about how others might judge you.

Group 2 (the independents) All I have to say is you're an inspiration to me. I don't mind being silly here and there, but I'll admit there are times when I'm not brave enough to just be myself. My goal is to laugh more and worry less even as I'm turning into an "adult"...that is all.

No comments: