Friday, April 25, 2008

pet peeves

I have, what most would consider, a normal amount of pet peeves. I hate when people mess up you're and your....give me a break it's my major. It bothers me when a couple takes PDA to an extreme level, so that everyone around them feels uncomfortable. It drives me crazy when people are fake. This is probably one of the biggest annoyances on my list.

Usually, when you ask someone, "How are you?" or "How was your day?" They tend to answer "good" or "fine" without thinking. It's more of a reaction than a response. I've done it, but then there are times when just after I change my mind and say, "Actually, I'm stressed and tired. I mean life is good, but I miss sleeping." People tend to look at me like I'm crazy, but it's honest. I guess I'm confused on where the line is. When should we be "fake" or when is it okay to be blunt and honest.

This week is kind of rough. My last week of college is drawing itself to a close. I'm a little stressed and sad. There isn't a lot of work to get done, but endings are always sad. Emotions are running high, and I can't help but feel a little sad. When I graduated from high school I knew what the next chapter contained. Now, I'm not positive where I'm headed. I admit I'm a little scared. I know God has a plan for me, and I'm not worried about not being taken care of. However, I'm anxious to figure things out.

So, for me, I need to be honest and put my cards out on the table. However, there are those who are more private and like to give the typical "good" response ans that's okay. So, I'll always hate when people misuse your and you're, but I guess it's not that big of a deal when people automatically answer "good" or "fine" when someone asks them how they're doing...that is all.

3 comments:

Eric said...

your and you're; then and than; it's and its; y'all and ya'll (of course this last one is just a case of one being correct and the other making no sense! "ya will"?) This is why so many people say we are quickly becoming a post literate society. Luckily, I witnessed four brilliant English symposium pieces and have hope that future generations will be inspired to learn and love language. "Oh captain, my captain..."

The latter point strikes at the heart of our society's rampant individualism and self-concern. People don't share because they a) don't feel that others really and b) don't really want to allow others into the space of their lives. We don't understand the holiness of others' lives and experiences, so we stomp around carelessly instead of treading lightly on holy ground. We don't see ourselves as the bearers of God's story and presence, so we isolate ourselves, fencing others out instead of welcoming them with the embrace of Christ.

We like to be together, but still prefer anonymity and shallowness to true expression of who we are, what is inside, and how we feel. We form the basis of our groups around activities or shallow interests, which in the end can actually work against openness and candor, rather than enabling it. The challenge of being an authentic faith community in today's society is learning to truly share a common life, koinonia, in which we can be honest and open and find God in the midst of the real experiences of life.

I pray that your honesty and openness, even if only occasional, will serve as a catalyst for others, that it will have a liberating for them to be able to open up as well.

Thanks for your thoughts here! And God bless you as you face a new step in life's journey! "There is no end, but beginning."

(Isn't it funny that we often can be more honest in the virtual world than in our face to face encounters with others?)

Naomi said...

My favorite is when you say "Hey" and the other person says "Good, how are you?"

At this point, the person is faced with a decision: Will they admit their mistake and make a joke about socioconversational formulas or will they pretend it never happened and write a blog post about it later?

And yes, I just said "socioconversational." Anything can be a prefix. How's that for a post-literate society?
Also, I would like to take this moment to call out Eric on reusing encouraging platitudes ("There is no end, only beginning") for graduating seniors. I still have that saved text message on my phone...

I love you!

Eric said...

It never hurts to reuse T.S. Eliot! And I'm glad you've still got it on your phone Nai.

Oh, speaking of pet peeves, I don't know how many times this term I have read "defiantly" where someone meant to write "definitely". Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but those are two VERY different words.