Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Awake

It's actually 2:30 in the morning, yet I find myself awake and wanting to write. I make no promises for the value about this blog; however, I will say there is just something about writing between the hours of 2 and 5a.m. that makes me smile.

So, my material tonight will come from a famous quote. You see, I've heard this quote for years and always loved what it said; yet lately it has become more relevant.

"A man is what he thinks about all day long." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now, Emerson is without question one of my favorite authors, and he is famous for his quotes. They are always penetrating and thought provoking. The thing I love most about this quote is how honest it is...think about it. We claim to be a certain way, but actions always speak louder than words. What do our thoughts revolve around?

Lately, mine have been work, work, red wings, work, and I hope I have time to get everything else done when I'm not at work. So, what's missing? I can tell you right now my spiritual life has taken a backseat to my new work schedule. I'm ashamed to admit that I spend 50 hours a week at my job, and on my day off, Sunday, I didn't even go to church for 2 hours. A messily 2 hours could not be sacrificed to do something to feed my spiritual fire...that is pathetic!

Sure, I can make up the excuse that my friend spent the night with me and she doesn't really do the whole Church of Christ thing because she was raised Catholic. However, my thoughts were not where they belong. They seem like such a blur lately. My focus has been all wrong. Don't get me wrong because I love my job! I think it's a great job too despite all the preconceptions people tend to make about my store. It's easy to do considering some of the clothing we sell and all, but to judge someone for working there is not Christian.

So, it's been easy to be selfish lately and think about my job and what I want to do in my spare time (the little I have) but in the next week I want to challenge myself to think about others first and myself secondly. This being largely in respect to my family.

Also, I want my thoughts to turn to a spiritual focus. I want God to be in the center on my life. He has always been in my life, but now He will be what I'm focusing on. I want to get back into the whole prayer journal thing. The summer I wrote one every day was the summer I figured out all my junk. I stopped believing out of habit and began to explore the why factor. Why am I a Christian? Why do I believe the things I do? Why go to church? ...and the list goes on and on. I guess by putting this down in writing I'm making a formal commitment to do all this stuff....that is all.

No comments: