Monday, June 16, 2008

the drive home

Today when work was over, I just wanted to climb into my car and drive home. There are always those days that have dragged by slowly. When you catch yourself glancing at your clock and wondering if time is actually moving backwards. Then you get out of work and drive home with autopilot on. The asphalt becomes a blur, and when you finally reach your destination you find you cannot remember the drive at all.

It was just one of those days. I kept wondering where the time seems to go. Work has taken over a huge chunk of my life this summer. I guess this is a huge taste of what it will be like to grow up and have to go to work every day. It makes me really cherish the relationships I have. The summer has always been a time for me to work. I like to stay busy and save up money for the times when I find myself too busy to log hours during the school year. However, summertime has also provided me with the opportunity to see who cares enough to put in time.

A good friendship is not defined by how often you see each other in my opinion. A strong relationship can stand the test of distance. It's knowing that even if you do not have the time to see each other or talk you still know each other inside and out. You would still be there for him or her in a heartbeat if they called and needed you, dropping anything else because the friendship you have with that person is more important than whatever you might be doing.

On my drive home I thought about my friendships, both new and old. It's funny how much my life has "changed" and yet remained the same over the past few years. I swore I'd never work retail again after Hollister, but here I am a manager at A&F--working for the same company. I never thought I'd live in Ferndale over the summer...here I am though. There are so many factors of my life that a year ago I wouldn't have thought to predict. Sometimes on the drive home I find my mind wandering towards them and I wonder...what does God have in store for me in the future that I could not even imagine? ...that is all.

2 comments:

Naomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...

I'll try this again:

I can't wait to see you this weekend!!! I will see you at some point, right?!