Saturday, June 14, 2008

shifting sand

Back in high school my brother had the Caedmon's Call c.d. (yes, it was an actual compact disc). I remember listening to one song in particular and for some reason today it popped into my head. It's called Shifting Sand, and I'm not sure I realized exactly want it meant back then. However, I always thought it was catchy and liked listening to it.

One line played over and over in my head today at work.... It was the only thing that got me through my 10 hour shift. To be honest, I'm not sure why it was a "bad day" because nothing horrible happened. I walked into the store at 8 a.m. a little tired but happy. However, after a few rude customers and a few minor things that went wrong I just got annoyed and frustrated. Then I walked around quiet the majority of the afternoon, not being nice or rude just blah... This is very unlike my normal work mode. Typically I'm bouncing up and down "dancing" across the store with a smile on my face. I just needed to get through the day...

I often let the little things get to me. If only I could be better at rolling things off my back. However, this song reminded me that although my faith is like shifting sand, thankfully God's lI need to start remembering to be more like that. When someone is rude to me at work this week my goal is to be extra nice to the next three people I speak to, whether they are my associates, co-workers, customers, etc.

Often Patrick Mead will end his services at Rochester COC with some sort of admonition, and that is how I feel inspired to finish this blog, with a little help from Caedmon's Call too.

I will not believe the lies that Satan feeds me daily.
I am loved, and I am special.
I will strive to do what is right and pray for strength when I feel too weak to do so.
I am loved, and I am important.
In all that I do I will try to reflect the same love and compassion that my Heavenly Father has shown me.
God in front of you....leading you through each day.
God to your left....when you sway from the path.
God to your right...when you feel weak and start to faint.
God behind you....catching you when you stumble or fall.
I will stand firm on HIS grace.


Shifting Sand:

Sometimes I believe all the lies
So I can do the things I should despise
And every day I am swayed
By whatever is on my mind

I hear it all depends on my faith
So I'm feeling precarious
The only problem I have with these mysteries
Is they're so mysterious

And like a consumer I've been thinking
If I could just get a bit more
More than my 15 minutes of faith,
Then I'd be secure

(Chorus)
My faith is like shifting sand
Changed by every wave
My faith is like shifting sand
So I stand on grace

I've begged you for some proof
For my Thomas eyes to see
A slithering staff, a leperous hand
And lions resting lazily

A glimpse of your back-side glory
And this soaked altar going ablaze
But you know I've seen so much
I explained it away

Chorus

Waters rose as my doubts reigned
My sand-castle faith, it slipped away
Found myself standing on your grace
It'd been there all the time

(Chorus repeated)

Stand on grace

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I loved that cd/song in high school too!