Thursday, February 14, 2008

happy valentine's day

I have to give a special shout out to all those lovers out there on this hallmark holiday. I think that the idea of Valentine's Day is actually very sweet, but I'm actually a big fan for the spontaneous romance of some kind just because it's a Tuesday. Love is something so rare and special that when you find it you need to hold on to it. It's not often that you find a person who knows you inside and out and can cheer you up even when you are at your worst. I hope that everyone is lucky enough to find someone who fits that description. Sometimes it's a best friend, a spouse, or maybe a relative. However, the most important love for me has and will always be that which I have with God.

However, today is Valentine's Day and more focused on the "mushy stuff" of romance. So, I am going to go ahead and make my list of things that guys do that make me weak in the knees...

1) When a guy can make me laugh. Laughter is the best medicine by far, and I plan to spend my life doing just that.
2) When a guy can hold his own next to me and still treat me with kindness and respect at the same time.
3) When he has proper grammar, (I'm not asking for perfection, but it should be pretty close) for I am an English major.
4) When he's willing to hold my hand in front of anyone, even his guy friends.
5) When he can sense I'm having a bad day and just holds me, no questions asked, and lets me cry it out. Then wipes away my tears and tells me I'm beautiful even with red, puffy eyes.
6) When he challenges me to be a better person, especially spiritually.
7) When he shares my passions and can appreciate the things I hold close to my heart even if he doesn't really understand why.
8) When he loves and respects his family.
9) When he loves my family... even in spite of all our crazy antics.
10) When he digs country music as much as I do... even if it's just Rascal Flatts :)
11) When a guy looks at me with a strange expression and a twinkle in his eyes, which I know is a look reserved just for me.
12) When he is as addicted to coffee as I am. :)
13) When he loves the Lord and has a real relationship with God.
14) When he can tell what I'm thinking without my having to say a word.
15) When I can spend a whole day or night with him doing nothing and still have the best time.
16) When he smiles at me, pushes my hair out of my eyes and tucks it behind my ear then tells me he likes it better when he can look into my eyes.
17) When he tells me, and more importantly shows me, every day just how much I mean to him...

I say all these things with the understanding that I have the same standards for myself. So, this might seem like some random girl power trip, but I like to think of it as setting standards for yourself and following through on them because we too often settle when we should not---that is all. :)

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Yay yay yay! A blog! I can't believe you didn't tell me sooner...:)