Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Stress!!!

There's always that week in my semester that I get hit in the face with a 2 by 4 and realize, "Wow, I have so much to do this week! Am I going to have time to sleep?!" It's usually about a week before midterms when the first few "real" papers are due. (I use the term "real" because I'm an English major and don't count anything as a paper unless it is at least 4 pages in length. Otherwise, I'd have about 3 papers due every week; which sounds overwhelming...) This is my week, or I should say next week is going to be that week.
I was playing the "question game" with a friend last night, and he asked me what is the one characteristic (non-physical) that I would like to change the most about myself. After about 20 to 40 seconds of deep thought I drew the conclusion that I let myself become stressed more than I would like. I used to be much worse as a sophomore in college--when the classes began to challenge me for the first time and my schedule was crammed with a part-time job, tutoring, club stuff, etc. Now, after 4 years of living with Lindsay, I'm gotten worn down some. However, I will always be a perfectionist when it comes to my writing and to be honest that will take a toll on me.
The problem with writing is that it is a neverending process. There are always ways to revise and improve it seems. I am not sure I have one paper I'm completely satisfied with that has value. I am impressed bu those who can write short stories and novels... how can you be published? I can't even handle an essay most days!
I say all this to challenge myself... This week my goal is to get everything done, and not only done, but done well...and here's the catch...while remaining calm and at a minimal stress level. So, pray for me that I won't pull out all my hair this weekend while I'm writing my papers, studying for my tests, and making my lesson plans...that is all.

No comments: