Sunday, February 10, 2008

Underneath The Snow

One of the things I love most about Michigan is its ability to make me forget things. Every year I forget about the bitter cold until that first icy wind rips through my thick coat and sends chills through my entire body which cannot be shaken until a hot shower or warm nap. Today is one of those such days. The temperature remains in the negatives and I have remained in my room all day in my comfy clothing with a blanket wrapped around my body while sipping coffee. I spent the whole day writing too.
There is something about this kind of weather that makes me fingers itch to write something. It doesn't really have to be something brilliant, but I will admit I am content to write like I did in junior high. Every young writer knows what I'm talking about--when you wrote all these lofty statement pieces or poetry that was probably very bad because your thoughts weren't really developed yet.
However now when I write I see a blank canvas. I see a place to share my ideas with the world, or sometimes just a blank word document. It's a place to begin though. So, that's all I did today... write. I wrote a few short essays for my senior writing project (this took a long time being that I had to erase and rewrite almost everything at least once...) this was scary and revealed the perfectionist in me.
I'm looking at this weather as the inspiration for my writing. I'm looking forward to letting my ideas thaw and seeing what lies underneath all the ice and snow....that is all.

No comments: