Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Look Like A Teacher

You know that phrase if it looks like an apple, tastes like an apple, and feels like an apple then it's probably an apple? (Or something like that... haha) Well I was thinking about it today because I got some "teaching clothes" in the mail today. They were a belated Christmas present; which is nice because who doesn't love getting mail? However, I stray though from my point-- I tried them on, threw on my high heels and twisted my hair sticking it into place with a few bobby pins then looked in the mirror hoping to look at least 19 or 20. I usually look about 16 or 17 and that's never a good thing when you step in front of a room full of high school juniors or seniors and demand their attention... Looking over my outfit I shuddered... "Did I look like a teacher?" I couldn't help but wonder. Are my mannerisms sophisticated enough to pull off teaching "punk" 18 year olds in my honors class. I fear that as I start this next student teaching practicum the students might have more content knowledge than me! How am I going to pull this one off? Am I ready to be an adult? It's a journey and this is just the next step I need to take.

Side not, but it fits nicely... I was talking to a friend from work last week about outlandish metaphors, and we were trying to come up with enough to write a book... (I have no idea how, but it was actually quite funny in the moment.) In all our banter he said one that stuck...
"Walking is like building stairs. You have to do it one step at a time." (Thanks Sam) So, pray that I just take this journey one step at a time and remember this when I' starting to get too stressed.... that is all.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Hey Jen - I just found your blog and it has become one of my favorites to read. You write with such sincerity and passion. I hope that God continues to bless you with these amazing experiences and realizations in life. Hope to see you Sunday at church.
~Katy